With any update, be sure you backup your data first, make sure your phone is fully charged and be aware that you won’t be able to make or receive emergency calls during the process. Read the instructions carefully because some things will be changed on your Samsung Galaxy S II.
The update is only be available via the Kies desktop software for Mac and PC.
Features of Android ICS include an enhanced new homescreen, Recent Apps shortcut to ease multitasking, new lock/unlock features including Face Unlock, improved home screen folders, a new notifications bar and an app to help you track your data usage.
How to Update your Samsung Galaxy S II via Kies:
- On the PC, open the Kies application.
- Connect the device to the computer using the included USB cable.
- Once Kies recognizes the device, a popup window will appear.
- Click Update.
- Read the Caution statements and select the I have read… check box.
- If desired, select Allow saving to back up the device. If not, select Proceed without saving.
- Click Start Upgrade.
- The software will download to the PC, and then to the device.
- When the update is done a notice will appear.
- Click OK to confirm.
Updates can take 5 to 30 minutes. Do not press any buttons to run menu during the upgrade process. Do not connect any other mobile devices to the computer while upgrading. Do not disconnect the cable until the upgrade is complete.
Some things will be reset:
- Home screens: Items that have been added to the home screen, such as home screens that have been added/removed, applications, widgets, and wallpaper (if the current wallpaper is not supported by ICS) are reset to default. Lock screen images will be preserved.
- Application Menu: The application menu sorting, folders and home keys will be reset. Downloaded applications will be preserved.
- Contact Groups: All Contacts and Contact groups will remain. However. contacts within the contact groups will be removed.
- Email: Email accounts that were added as a Social Hub or Samsung premium account will be removed.
- Music: Music playlists and settings (Equalizer,Sound effect, Music menu) will be reset during the update.
- Bluetooth: Paired bluetooth devices will be removed during the reset.
Read details here.