Here we go round the round-up of the hottest coolest best smartphones of the year from PCMag that will be added to our research data and revealed later. PCMag reviewers including Sascha Segan are the most technically adroit around and discover minute details about operating systems and hardware.
Segan is especially critical of "bloatware' by carriers and has been a stalwart advocate of keeping operating systems pure. He'll tell you immediately what works well and what doesn't. Besides that he's really smart and will tell the manufacturers and carriers exactly what he thinks.
PCMag published its "Best of the Year 2011" in November which gives both gold (G) and silver (S) awards by carrier, all the top winners received Editors' Choice (EC). The Samsung Galaxy SII received three best of the year awards and also beat on the iPhone on many other lists. PCMag only honors the iPhone 4S for the Sprint network. We have summarized the honorees, followed by the Wireless and Mobile News Review of Reviews (WMNS RoR) and best prices as of this writing.
Verizon Wireless Top Best Hottest Coolest Smartphones:
- G: Droid Bionic 4 (EC) - Combing dual-core with LTE makes for fast web speeds and the Webtop app turns it into a laptop. Segan notes that the Droid RAZR and Galaxy Nexus were released too late to be considered. WMNS RoR reviewers of the Droid Bionic all agreed that it is the fastest smartphone on the Verizon network and gave it the honor of Editors' Choice. Online retailer Amazon is selling the Droid Bionic for $49.99 for new customers with a contract or $179.99 for renewing customers.
- S: HTC ThunderBolt 4 - Honored for being the first 4G LTE smartphone on the Verizon Network. WMNS RoR reviewers all praised how fast data, webpages and browsing is on the HTC ThunderBolt. Amazon Wireless sells the HTC ThunderBolt for, while Verizon Wireless has a special deal with an extended life battery.
AT&T Top Best Hottest Coolest Smartphones:
- G: Samsung Galaxy SII 4.5 EC- was well-rated for thinness, speed and gorgeous Super AMOLED for an example of perfect balance of quality components for an elegant experience. The best price for new customers today is Amazon Wireless at $129.99 for new customers and renewing customers pay $149.99. The buzz around the Samsung Galaxy SII is greater than for the iPhone. The Samsung Galaxy SII was noted for the success of Samsung's handset sales this year.
- S: Motorola Atrix 4G 4 -awarded for pioneering of transforming smartphones into a the Webtop experience. Amazon Wireless is selling it to new customers for $49.99 with a contract.
T-Mobile Top Best Hottest Coolest Smartphones:
- G: Samsung Galaxy SII 4.5 EC - T-Moblie's SGSII has faster data/processor speeds than the AT&T version and is a good voice phone. Usually selling for $229.99 list the Samsung Galaxy SII in white is on sale until midnight tonight for $99 from T-Mobile. The buzz around the Samsung Galaxy SII is greater than for the iPhone. The Samsung Galaxy SII was noted for the success of Samsung's handset sales this year.
- S: HTC Amaze 4G 4: The Amaze has the excellent Sense UI from HTC, fast data network and great camera. T-Mobile sells it for $229.99 while Amazon Wireless is selling it for $199.99.
Sprint Top Best Hottest Coolest Smartphones:
- G: Apple iPhone 4S 4.5 EC : The only iPhone 4S reviewed by PCMag noted improvementsinclude a faster processor, voice assistant Siri and unlimited data.
- S: Morotola Photon 4G 4.5 EC: Honored due to 4G speeds and Webtop app. WMNS RoR reviewers of the Motorola Photon 4G raved about its power, great audio/video playing, excellent call quality, global voice/data roaming, touchscreen, media dock, HDMI mirroring to HDTV and fast data speeds. Amazon Wireless sells it at a discounted rate of $49.99 for new customers.
UNLOCKED - Samsung Galaxy SII 4 EC & Sonin XP3300 Force 3.5 EC.
See all of the top best smartphones of the year on this page.