Top Ten Best Coolest Hottest Smartphone 2011: Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Epic Touch 4G, HTC EVO 3D & iPhone Lead the Pack for 2011 Review of Reviews
This has been a very exciting year for smartphones, there are more choices with greater options than ever before. We've started rounding up all the top smartphones this year which will culminate in our very own "Wireless and Mobile News' Top Ten Best Hottest Coolest Smartphones of 2011." Today, we looked at PCWorld's top ten picks for the best available smartphones as of December 1, 2011.
What we find most interesting as when we collect our review of reviews' is that smartphone reviews are always a bit subjective. PC World's choices are slighty different from CNET's Best Top Ten Smartphones of 2011, as well asd Consumer Reports choices for Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint.
There are some unexpected contenders we haven't seen in other top picks along with the usual suspects including the iPhone 4s and Samsung Galaxy SII. This is first list where we have seen Windows Phones. We've listed the PCWorld top ten, along with their rating, the best price we could find and a summary of the Wireless and Mobile News Review of Reviews with links.
- Samsung Epic Touch 4G (Sprint) 4.5 - This well rated model of the Samsung Galaxy SII, has a great touchscreen, excellent camera and superb performances has too much bloatware and a plasticky case. Wireless and Mobile News' Review of Reviews rated it 4 out of 5 reviewers liked features such as a the Super AMOLLED 4.52" touchscreen, excellent battery life, good-to-great camera, faster dual-core processor and good WiMAX data speeds. The Samsung Epic 4G Touch, sells for $199 from Sprint with a rebate, Amazon Wireless is selling it for $99.99 for new and $149.99 renewing customers which may change depending on what sale is going on.
- HTC EVO 3D (Sprint) 4.5 - This superhone was well rated for its dual-core speeds, entertainment features and goregeious design. The call quality was uneven and the 3D is a gimmick. Wireless and Mobile News' Review of Reviews rated it 4 out of 5. Most reviewers liked the 3D features while one thought it was a novelty for early adopters. The HTC EVO 3D costs $199 at Sprint with a contract. Online retailer Amazon Wireless has discounted to $49.99 for new and renewing customers.
- T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide 4.5 - PCW loved the outstanding camera and latest software. They were not thrilled with the keyboard and abscene of HDMI port. Reviewers of the T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide found it to be an excellent choice for those who need a super fast smartphone with a keyboard on the T-Mobile network. The T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide is available from T-Mobile for $199 after a a rebate with a contract. Amazon Wireless has it at the same price.
- Samsung Galaxy SII(T-Mobile) 4.5 - This standout winner has a massive colorful touchscreen, powerful processor and NFC. However, it lacks a microSD card and they didn't like the bezel around the screen. The list price from T-Mobile is $229.99 or you can get the Samsung Galaxy SII from Amazon Wireless for new and renewing customers for $199.99.
- iPhone 4S (AT&T) 4 - The best features of the iPhone 4S are its faster performance, superb camera and beautiful touchscreen. The less favored features are you can only upload video in 1080p and Siri is not always accurate.
- Motorola Droid RAZR 4 - Very thin with super fast data speed the Droid RAZR has short battery life and is "pricey." WMNS ROR' reviewers of the DROID RAZR gave it Editors' Choice and rated it well for being the fastest and thinnest for now. Verizon Wireless sells the DROID RAZR for $299 and is offering double data through the holidays as well as $100 off a Droid Xyboard and $50 off Motorola accessories. Amazon Wireless as of this writing is selling it for $199 for new customers.
- Motorola Droid Bionic (VZW) 4 - This long awaited superphone is blazing fast, with great biz/entertainment feature but is expensive. They liked the comptible accesories and HD 1080 video capture but didn't like the display and uneven call quality. Reviewers of the Droid Bionic all agreed that it is the fastest smartphone on the Verizon network and gave it the honor of Editors' Choice (4.5). Online retailer Amazon is selling the Droid Bionic for $49.99 for new customers and $179.99 for renewing customers.
- Samsung Focus S 4- Called the best Windows Phone available, the "S" has smooth performance, great camera and great touchscreen. However, there is some hissing on calls, it's plasticky and Windows Phone has limitations. Amazon Wireless is selling the Samsung Focus S for $19.99 for new customers and $49.99 for renewing customers.
- Samsung Focus Flash 4 - One of the best Windows Phones with fast data speeds and fast processor. The buttons, however, are spongy and the camera is poor. Amazon Wireless sells the Samsung Focus Flash for one-cent for new and renewing customers.
- Samsung Galaxy SII (AT&T) 4 - PCW noted the goregeous Super AMOLED Touchscreen, thinness and NFC. They didn't like the plastic and security flaw on the lock screen. The best price for new customers today is Amazon Wireless at $129.99 for new customers and renewing customers pay $149.99.